Saturday 26 March 2011

Vice-mounted post dollies

From Dan in Mountain View, California

Hi Sideburn,
Your blog has been my daily inspiration for this CB350 street tracker build.
I haven't really seen any other examples of CB350s done this way. I couldn't find a flat track seat that would look right so I made a simple one from steel sheet metal, forming the base by sandwiching it in a plywood form.
Some home-made, vice-mounted post dollies also helped. Never worked like this with sheet metal before but I got a crash course in it by surfing the web.

The project started as a non-running craigslist find. It had been turned into a chopper in the 1970s and had ape hangers, extended forks and a sissy bar. That stuff came off right away, but I kept the cocktail shaker mufflers, chopper headlight and cool chrome kickstand. Lots of new bits were added as well, including some CB750 shocks. Not sure if I should I paint it because I kind of like the way it looks as is and I've got other projects going on.

Thanks for the great magazine and blog. Its funny that a group of British folks, of all people, have made me appreciate the American sport of flat track racing. That and watching On Any Sunday over and over as a kid.
-Daniel

1 comment:

Nick said...

interesting and different project, looking good