Friday 27 August 2010

Don't Knock The Rock



I saw this programme for the first time when I was 12. I'd already been mad about British bikes, especially cafe racers, for a couple of years and had recently gone barmy for rock 'n' roll, having discovered a box of old 45s in the loft. So, by the time I'd seen just the intro, which is all I've included here, I was delirious, had spilled my Tizer and sat on my Curly Wurly (no, not prison slang).

The programme was made in 1964 by Manchester-based TV company Granada and when first aired was called Whole Lotta Shakin'. I think it might have been aired in two parts. It was repackaged for the 1977 release (when I saw it) as Don't Knock The Rock and is 55 minutes of storming performances by Gene Vincent, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard, among others. You'll find clips on YouTube (but don't be confused by the 1956 film of the same name).

As far as I know, the only legal way to get hold of a copy (I assume their copies are legal) are through The Video Beat I can't vouch for the company, never bought anything from them, despite a very tempting line-up - worth a butchers. MP

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

groovyyy!!!.
how cool are bikes!!.