Tuesday 24 November 2009

Roller Derby Devastation







On Saturday I took the kids to the Carnival of the Strange roller derby festival. Met up with Minx a'Matosis (who used to puts together Wrench magazine and is one of the forces behind the Lincolnshire Bombers Roller Derby team).
I'd never seen it before, but something about the ingredients had me intrigued...
Tattooed, face-painted, hot-panted, fishnet-stockinged women on roller skates, everywhere. Live bands, kids' facepainting, fairground games. Then the roller girls own brand of 'Go fast, Turn left' started. It was nearly as brutal as a short track first corner. It took a while to get my head around the rules and longer to understand the scoring, but it hardly mattered. It looks fun.
And the names are great too - She'za Payne; Fight Cub, Kym Tensive-Care... And now, three days later, everytime I close my eyes I still see athletic thighs pumping...
Great day out. I'll keep you posted on more derby action. G
Photos: Adam Rhoades, In-Depth, Darren Bannister, Jason Ruffell

3 comments:

Ace said...

Hey guys love the blog. I'm a fan of the Lincolnshire Bombers as well and have been following em' this season(from the other side of the pond). You can check my post (if you care) at:
http://motorheadster.blogspot.com/2009/11/lincolnshire-bombers.html
I'm an old biker who loves all things 2-wheeled and the lifestyle that goes with it. I live in central Canada and there's still no snow on the ground, so I'm still ridin'... Fuck ya! Later man.

Anonymous said...

sounds groovy, maybe we could merge our sports for a half hr spectacular, where we tow em round the track and they fire off shots into a net in the middle o the track!!!.
stevie 28

Sideburn Magazine said...

Stevie #28,
maybe not enough "athletic thighs pumping" for Mr Inman's taste, but your dream was at least partially fulfilled in the 1975 film Rollerball:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV9ysMZamxs

They even ride bikes not dissimilar to yours
BP