Thursday 10 September 2009

Professor Eric




From Mule. Don't know too much about it, but thought we should share it.
It's obviously an XS. Those look like Yam forks and brakes. And the Mule called it Professor Eric. We'll find out why in due course.
The Shell sticker refers to Shell Thuet, the close to legendary Yamaha tuner. What I didn't know what that he was in the bike club, the 13 Rebels, whose Holister burn-up was exaggerated by the press and turned into the story of The Wild One. And I only found it out because I read it on the excellent blog The Selvedge Yard. The Selvedge Yard even says Brando's character was based on Thuet. Incredible. Is Shell still alive? G

2 comments:

McQmoto said...

Shell turned 97 on Aug 1st. I never knew he was the inspiration for the Brando character - he's certainly had a full as well as long life. He's a true gent, modest, very generous (he gave me a T-shirt and some parts which I tried really hard to pay for) although a little taciturn and rather deaf he showed me loads of stuff in his workshop - including OU-72 motors and talked about my bike which he recalled in surprising detail. He retired only recently and sold his business but is still with us.

Guy@GK said...

Nice bike. Good story... the 13 Rebels were just one of many clubs who attended Hollister and created the legend. The history of the Boozefighters MC book is good for background.