Friday 20 March 2009

Brilliant new UK race bikes

Some great bikes being built this winter/spring. Here are three we're excited about.


First is is Simon Russell's ER-6. I've known, and worked with, Simon a few year. He and his dad came to a bunch of races and bumpstarted me. Then he bit the bullet, poured ALL his money into a race bike and him and his old man are quietly and quickly putting this together for very little money.He can't afford 19in wheels so he's running 17in Maxxis Supermoto wets, like Steve Coles did with much success on his Honda Hawk.
These are his Bostrom rep leathers too.
Simon says 'Six weeks time, I become a motorcycle racer.'
You, out there, can buy that feeling. It's a good one.

Ben sold the wild TL1000 to top UK racer Glyn Pocklington. Glyn's tidied it right up, spoken to the US Suzuki team about how best to tame it and will be out this season in the Thunderbike class.

And this Rotax is so neat. I have a full story on how Scotty built it. I'll post or print it in the future.

5 comments:

Griff said...

Good to see a varied mix of new bikes ready for this years races.
A few observations,running the Kwak on 17's seems a good idea as they appear to be having some C of G issues with them in the States and if you cover builds in future issues we need numbers.Loved the article on Captain Highsides Honda,but it actually told us bugger all,what KTM frame,steering geometry,rim sizes,you know the sort of thing,the more info that is available i'm sure shed dwellers would think I can do that and more bikes would appear.Sorry I can't help myself I'm an engineer,keep up the good work.

Sideburn Magazine said...

Hi Griff
thanks for the input.
Capt. Highside gave me all the facts & figures he had - thats the beauty of it, it's not an exact science, it's'suck it & see' Shedanomics philosophy.
Don't let 'numbers' hold you back from 'avin a go.
(But I will bend his ear again for you)
BP

Anonymous said...

Loving the look of this.Is that an aftermarket frame on the roller? UK or US built? Griff , the CoG issues relate to a stock frame ( I think )which is what our colonial friends have to use.

Sideburn Magazine said...

Simon's ER-6, pictured, is a stock chassis. But I spoke to Simon today and he thinks he'll have more to deal with that a slight CoG issue.
The TL1000 frame (with the green tank) was built by GRC Racing (Gary Cotterall of Denver Garage, Downham Market, Norfolk, England). He also built Boastie's SV650 frame and a bunch of leading Supermono road race frames.
GI

Anonymous said...

Ahh , my bad ( as de kidz sa ), the colour confused me.
Cheers
Stu